Ever since we launched in the spring of 2008, Hatchwise has been gaining popularity and visitors, which is a good thing. The downside to this was that as use of the site increased, so did the time it took to load just about any page on the site, and people were stuck in front of their monitors for hours (literally, apparently it took 127 seconds to load the main page if you had a 14.4k connection, which it seems some people still do) trying to use the site, and we were getting frustrated emails from people on a daily basis.
We tried many things to speed the site up, including moving to a new server last summer, all to no avail as the site grew slower, and slower.
Finally, yesterday, we started ripping the site out by the roots to get to the bottom of the problem. After pretty much working through the night, we figured out what the problem was.
It was a really, really, simple programming error, so simple that we’re not even going to tell anyone what it was, as those of you that are programmers would just laugh at us, and we’re not huge fans of being laughed at.
Suffice it to say that the site is now faster. Much, much faster. Like, Nascar fast. Bullet train fast. It’s truly spectacular.
Thank you so much to everyone that stuck with us through thick and thin, you’re the best!
Thanks again for all your support!
George, for the rest of the Hatchwise team.